The Tesla Roadster Is Back - And Laying A Hardcore Smackdown To Gasoline Cars
Tesla had already won the night with it's semi-truck unveiling event by debuting a completely industry transforming semi, but in true Elon Musk fashion, a big surprise was in store. Inside the trailer of the semi-truck was the brand new Tesla Roadster, which rolled out the back in a very Knight Rider-ish fashion. Those familiar with Tesla know the original Roadster was Tesla's first car and Musk had always teased it's return. Well it's back, and in Musk's own words this new Roadster is designed to lay the smackdown on gasoline cars. His exact words were that driving a gasoline powered vehicle would soon equate to "a steamengine with a side of keish". Here are the stupefying specs that we know so far:
- Power comes from 3 motors mated to a 200 kWh battery pack.
- The 3 motors generate 10,000 nm of torque ("that is just stupid" according to Musk).
- 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds - the first time any production car has broken 2 seconds.
- 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds - the fastest production car to 100 mph.
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds - also the first time any production car has broken 9 seconds.
- 250+ mph top speed - also the fastest...well...you get the picture.
- 620 miles HIGHWAY range on a single charge. (!!!!!!!)
- The fastest production car of all time. Period.
- Available in 2020.
The new Tesla Roadster is a 2+2 configuration, which means 4 seats (rear passengers may want to start dieting now), with a removable roof and what Musk calls "capacious storage" for your personal belongings.
According to Musk, gone are the days of "ludicrous speed" and straight into "plaid" with a 1.9 second 1-60 time that makes the 2.5 second Tesla Model S look like Slow Poke Rodriguez. The car will sell it's first 1000 models for 200k and a founder's edition for 250k, and test rides were given to people who were putting down a $50k more deposit on the roadster, without even knowing what it's full price would be.
Here's the kicker. According to Musk, this is just the base model..... he says we'll talk about additional models maybe next year, so this is dumbfoundingly just the baseline of the mindblowing specs we will see in this incredible roadster from now until it hits the road in a few years....
Find Local Listings
Find Quality Touch Up Paint
All touch up paint is not created equal! The generic paints you buy at auto part stores will likely NOT match your vehicle’s paint exactly. Believe it or not, even the OEM dealers usually stock “close enough” colors. We recommend PaintScratch.com since their high quality paint is freshly made, they custom mix each order for you upon receipt, and they offer a color match guarantee.