2016 Cadillac ATS-V lands at Los Angeles Auto Show and She's Everything You Want in a... Sports Car
Photo credit: Cadillac
Cadillac surprised us with the 2016 ATS-V at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show, claiming to have taken the brand's elite high-performance V-Series to the next level. I'll be the first to admit that she's more than impressive and everything you'd want in a... sports car. A LUXURY sports car that is! Both excited and surprised as our heads turned and brains marveled at the never ending list of engineering genius that has gone into this car to appeal to move become luxury and comfort into a sports performace market. Maybe that V stands for "Vroom!" becaue this bad boy is the firt to get twin turbo with a track-capable driving experience that takes you from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds with it's 455 ponies under the hood.
Production for Cadillac's V-Series will begin spring 2015 powered by a twin-turbo charged 6-cylinder engine, estimating 455 hp and445 lb-ft torque reaching speed of more than 185 mph. You'll get your choice of a 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic transmission.
The chassis has been redesigned with all new suspension and drive train systems for optimial performance of the vehicle's twin turbo engine.
You want more? They've got it... additional featurs to the ATS-V include:
• Brembo high-performance brake system developed to provide durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance straight from the factory
• Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which delivers 40 percent faster damping response
• Integrated chassis controls that provide balanced performance for touring and the track, including class-exclusive Performance Traction Management
• Structural stiffness increased by 25 percent for higher cornering loads
• Driver-selectable driving modes for touring, sport and track
• Tri-compound tires offering excellent grip with extended tire wear
• Available downforce-generating track aerodynamics package
• Functional exterior design for powertrain and drivetrain cooling, as well as aerodynamic performance
• An interior with high-performance seats and ergonomics focused on the driver's interfaces with key features for performance driving.
The Cadillac's Twin Turbo 3.6L V-6 comes with a set of exclusive features of it's own:
• Turbochargers with low-inertia titanium-aluminide turbines and vacuum-actuated wastegates for more responsive torque production
• Compressors matched for peak efficiency at peak power levels, for optimal track performance
• Patent-pending low-volume charge-cooling system that optimizes packaging efficiency and maximizes boost pressure
• Lightweight titanium connecting rods that reduce inertia of the rotating assembly, complementing the quick-spooling turbochargers.
The Cadillac Twin Turbo also features a high-performance lubrication system designed to maintain optimal oil pressure and ventilation during high-lateral driving maneuvers typically encountered on a track.
Cadillac is beyond thrilled that they have created one extremely dynamic and performace driven luxury ride. "The ATS-V feels like it was machined from billet steel," said Tony Roma, chief engineer. "Along with supporting the higher performance capability of the car, the enhanced structure conveys confidence to the driver through a greater feeling of solidity and sharper, more precise responsiveness." He also claims the car is ready for the track, right off the show room floor with no mods required.
If that wasn't enough... they reported even more upgrades to their dual-mode driving experience:
• A revised multi-link double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension delivers a quicker response and increased lateral control, incorporating new ride and handling links, where traditional elastomeric bushings are replaced with zero-compliance cross-axis ball joints, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar – for 50 percent greater roll stiffness
• The ZF Steering Systems Servotronic II variable-ratio electric power steering gear, with increased system stiffness offering an improved feeling of precision and greater driver feedback
• Cadillac's five-link rear suspension features reduced roll center migration, stronger lateral control and effective anti-squat geometry, complementing the front suspension with greater body motion control. Contributing components include stiffer bushings, new cradle mounts, higher-rate springs and a stiffer stabilizer bar
• A standard electronic limited-slip differential supports optimal traction and enables maximum corner exit acceleration
• Larger prop shafts and greater half-shaft asymmetry (stiffer driver's side shaft) mitigate power hop during acceleration
• A Brembo high-performance brake system provides durability, consistency and the capability for track-day performance. The system includes 14.5-inch-diameter (370 mm) front rotors with staggered six-piston calipers and 13.3-inch-diamter (339 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers.
As far as the design, she's definitely a beauty, but Cadillac insists that every part of the ATS-V's exterior has a functional purpose. Elements include:
• A lightweight carbon fiber hood features an air-extracting vent that not only pulls hot air out of the engine compartment, but helps reduce lift at speed by channeling air pulled through the radiator out and over the top of car rather than allowing trapped air to exit under the car
• Unique front and rear fascias provide optimal aero performance, with larger grille openings in the front fascia to feed more air to the new twin-turbocharged engine. Even the mesh pattern of the signature grille openings is enlarged to allow more air into the radiator and multiple heat exchangers
• A front splitter enhances handling by forcing air to push down on the front of the car rather than flow under it, where it can cause lift
• Wider fenders to accommodate 18 x 9-inch front wheels and 18 x 9.5-inch rear wheels that are wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
• The aluminum wheels, unique to the V-Series, are constructed of a low-mass forging that helps reduce un-sprung weight for greater agility and a more direct feel to steering inputs
• The rocker moldings and rear spoiler are aero-optimized.
Did you get all that? We're super excited so see track performance of the ATS-V with Cadillac's impressive jump deeper into the realm of luxury performance sports cars.
Find Local Listings
Find Quality Touch Up Paint
All touch up paint is not created equal! The generic paints you buy at auto part stores will likely NOT match your vehicle’s paint exactly. Believe it or not, even the OEM dealers usually stock “close enough” colors. We recommend PaintScratch.com since their high quality paint is freshly made, they custom mix each order for you upon receipt, and they offer a color match guarantee.